Wednesday, December 22, 2004

And It Shook Me

I work for a college, which means that this week, there's almost no one here. The fall semester is done, so no students and very few faculty members are around. Furthermore, not that many staff members are around, either (though I am and I have to come in tomorrow; sigh; though at least I have off on Friday and I have a break for a full week until I have to go into the office on the 3rd). Thus, it's pretty dead around here now, almost eerily so. Furthermore, my boss left about an hour ago, leaving me alone here in the office. Also, keep in mind that we don't get many visitors. On occasion, someone will come in to visit and chat with either me or my boss, but most of the time, we're here by ourselves. So why I am writing this then? Well about 10 minutes ago, THE PRESIDENT OF THE SCHOOL (who I've never met before; just seen at school functions, etc.) came in, presumably to talk to my boss (who reports directly to him), but maybe to check on me, too. Anyway, of course I was extremely nervous since I'd never met him before. He asked me what I was working on and I described the details of the the project that I'm working on (when I'm not taking breaks to work on my blog; hee hee) and after bumbling and stumbling nervously in an awkward attempt to justify my existence, he finally said "nice to finally meet you" and of course I said the same. As Keanu Reeves would exclaim, "Whoah"! What a time to meet the big boss, huh?

Other things that happened today:

1) I missed the bus and had to wait a good 20 minutes (which is not good since I'm already groggy and cranky in the morning when I lack coffee and food) for another one because a friend called me at 9:30 in the fucking morning and I was checking my messages.

2) To offset #1, my boss (who is awesome) gave me a $150 gift certificate to Amazon as his holiday gift, which made my day. Now the big question: do I splurge for the iPod that I desperately want (and use the gift certificate as a discount on it) or go for those recent Elvis Costello, Echo and the Bunnymen and Kinks (that 3 CD Village Green Preservation Society looks yummy) reissues (as well as some new stuff; maybe I'll finally get that Arcade Fire album or some more Fall albums) that I still haven't picked up? Discerning readers can chime in with their opinions. Enquiring minds want to know. :-)

3) I had a great cream of broccoli soup at Brunchateria, the place that I go to all the time for lunch. It's on 1st Avenue between E. 68th and E. 69th Sts. Check it out and tell 'em I sent you. They might give you a free dessert (and they're yummy too). I'd post a link to their site, but they don't have one and their Citysearch profile doesn't have any other info or reviews.

4) You know what, although I haven't listened to in months, I'm listening to the most recent Modest Mouse album (you know, the one that sold 8 trillion copies with "Float On" being all over MTV and the radio) now and it still kicks ass. In fact, I think I like it even more now than when I first got it and I played the shit out of it over the summer.

5) Visqueen are amazing. Check out their 1st album King Me and in particular, the songs "Zirconium Gun" and "Mrs. Elder". I still haven't heard the new one. Funny how $150, as generous as it is, seems so small, when you wanna buy so much music, huh?

xxx The Robot, over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home