Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Minor Incident

As I was waiting for the bus this morning, a strange woman who must have been in her 50s or 60s came up to me and asked me if I spoke English (I live in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood and as you can imagine, Spanish is the most prominent language spoken). Still barely awake and without caffeine or food, I said "yeah" not really wanting to talk to her but not wanting to be rude, either. She then proceeds to put her finger in her nose and asks me "what do you think this is?". I said, admittedly somewhat rudely, that it's "you picking your nose and me not particularly wanting to see it". She said "no, it's me speaking Spanish" in such a way that the word "speaking" was manipulated to sound like "picking" with an "s" before that. She then proceeded to ask me if it was funny after I didn't laugh. It wasn't that I thought it was racist or something like that. It just wasn't fucking funny. I said that it wasn't and that I was just being honest. She then accused me of having no sense of humor. Instead of telling her to fuck off, which is what I really wanted to do, I just said "you think" in a way that really meant "you're a fucking idiot".

All in all, I guess she either really wanted the attention really bad for some reason (maybe loneliness) or she's just nuts. It was just kind of weird since I don't normally have people crack bad jokes in front of me at 9:30 AM no less.

np (now playing): Little Milton "We're Gonna Make It"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home